What is a Bounced Email?
On the Advanced tab of the MailPoet Settings page, you can choose which email address will receive bounce messages. Bounced emails are automatic emails sent by email servers when your recipient's (subscriber) email address cannot receive your newsletter.
The correct email header for bounces is the Return-Path header. We highly suggest you use an email address from the same domain as your website in order to improve your spam score. For example, if you are sending from firstname.lastname@example.org, your bounce address should also be an address with the domain "@mailpoet.com", like email@example.com
Sending With MailPoet Sending Service
What Should I Do With a Bounce Message?
There are 2 ways to deal with messages that bounce:
- By installing this free add-on (requires a dedicated email address, ie firstname.lastname@example.org). Not supported by MailPoet.
- By manually unsubscribing bounced email addresses that fall in your inbox after sending a newsletter (default)
Hard bounces are when your email is undeliverable because:
- the recipient's email address doesn't exist
- there's a typo in the address (such as email@example.com)
A soft bounce, on the other hand, occurs when the subscriber's mailbox:
- is full
- temporarily unavailable (server is down)
- won't accept your email because is too large
My Bounce Address Isn't Working!
In certain circumstances, the email address you specify in this Advanced tab will not be used and a different one will be enforced by:
- Your hosting company, if you are sending through your own server
- By a third-party email provider, because they manage the bounced messages themselves